What is conscious copywriting?
The word ‘conscious’ is defined as ‘responding to one’s surroundings’ and ‘deliberate and intentional’.
‘Copywriting’ refers to writing with the purpose of persuading readers to take a particular action.
Conscious copywriting, then, is writing that inspires action by being aware of and responding to consumers' desires, as well as the changes that need to take place in the marketplace.
It’s accessible, and not unnecessarily complicated.
It’s honest and authentic, not obscured or exaggerated.
It connects and empowers, not demands.
It acknowledges that not everything fits in a box, and embraces the anomalies.
To empower conscious consumers to make informed purchases, through clear copy that instills a positive, empowered, and hopeful mindset.
Resources for conscious living
CLICK IMAGES FOR MORE INFO
1. The True Cost: Who Pays the Price for our Clothing?
2. Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things
3. Down to Earth with Zac Efron
1. The Responsibility Revolution, Jeffery Hollender & Bill Breen
2. Wild Kinship, Monique Hemingson & Erin Cave
3. Slow. Brooke McAlary
4. Braiding Sweetgrass, Robin Wall Kimmerer
1. Headspace - Guided meditations.
2. Beat the Microbead - scan for microplastics in cosmetics
3. Too Good To Go - Surplus food from local businesses
3. Freecycle - Unwanted goods in your area
4. Evolve - self-care for the LGBT community
5. Exhale _ self-care for women of colour
The Ethical Move: Ethical Marketing Pledge
I’ve taken the following pledge for transparent, responsible, and honest marketing:
I put the person before the sale.
I respect you and your privacy. I will help you make the best choice for your needs.
I communicate inclusively, truthfully, and clearly.
I will not confuse you or hide information from you. I will help all audiences feel welcome.
I take responsibility for my part in changing the marketplace.
I recognize the need to break the cycle of consumerism. I will continuously review my sales and marketing to ensure they benefit the common good.
More information about the pledge can be found on their website here
Conscious choices today, for an ethical tomorrow
We’re not required to be the most ethical version of ourselves today. I’m not, you’re not, and neither are your consumers.
Why? Because perfectionism doesn’t exist, and an all-or-nothing approach is a recipe for burning out or quitting.
The word conscious implies intention. It’s about being aware of your part in your marketplace, the changes that need to be made, and taking imperfect action along that path.
This page represents my commitment to learning and growing. I hope – from within your unique circumstances – you too begin to make slow and sustainable changes.
Follow me on LinkedIn to stay in the loop about the ethical moves I'm making.